At Coastal Dermatology and Medspa, our priority is to deliver quality dermatology care to informed patients in a comfortable and convenient setting.
Spider Vein Treatment
Ryan Krch, N.M.D. offers sclerotherapy to minimize or eliminate the appearance of spider veins on the face or body. This minimally invasive treatment, with no recovery time needed, can help you achieve a more even skin tone without the appearance of these unwanted and unsightly veins.
What is Sclerotherapy?
Sclerotherapy is a minimally invasive, nonsurgical treatment for spider and varicose veins. It includes injecting a solution into your affected veins, causing them to collapse and eventually be absorbed by the body. This safe and effective treatment can improve the appearance of your legs and alleviate discomfort caused by these unsightly veins.
Understanding Spider Veins
Spider veins are small, thin, red or blue blood vessels that can appear on the skin's surface, most commonly on the legs and face. They often resemble a spider's web or a tree branch pattern, and while they are generally harmless, they can be a cosmetic concern for many people. These differ from varicose veins, usually twisted and enlarged, causing a bumpy appearance.
Telangiectasia, also known as spider veins, may be caused by being overweight, aging, genetics, hormonal changes, blood clots, certain medications and medical conditions. Spider veins are a relatively common yet pesky condition. Typically resembling themselves as squiggly purple, blue, or red lines, these veins may be easily seen through the skin as they branch out on the face and body.
Benefits of Sclerotherapy
Sclerotherapy offers numerous benefits, including:
- Nonsurgical treatment
- Minimal discomfort
- Quick recovery time
- Improved appearance of veins
- Alleviation of symptoms associated with spider veins and varicose veins
- High success rate
Sclerotherapy Procedure: What to Expect
During the initial consultation, our expert medical professionals will examine your veins and discuss your medical history to determine if sclerotherapy is your best treatment option.
The sclerotherapy procedure typically takes 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the number and size of the veins being treated. Our medical professional will cleanse the area and use a fine needle to inject the sclerosing solution into the targeted veins. You may experience mild discomfort or a stinging sensation during the injections.
Aftercare and Recovery
After the procedure, you will be advised to wear compression stockings to help your veins heal properly and to minimize swelling. Avoid strenuous activities for a few days, although you may return immediately to your daily routine. Multiple sessions may be required to achieve your desired results.
Side Effects and Risks
Sclerotherapy is a safe procedure with minimal risks. Potential side effects of the treatment may include bruising, swelling, discoloration, and mild discomfort. Rare, more severe complications such as blood clots, allergic reactions, or nerve damage have occurred. Dr. Ryan will work to ensure the lowest possible risks to you.
Results and Longevity
Most patients notice an improvement in the appearance of their veins within weeks of the sclerotherapy treatment. However, it may take up to a few months for the full results to be visible. Sclerotherapy is highly successful, and the treated veins are unlikely to reappear. However, it does not prevent new spider veins from forming.
Preparing for Your Sclerotherapy Appointment
To ensure a successful sclerotherapy session, take the following steps before your appointment:
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medications or blood thinners for a week before the procedure, as they can increase the risk of bruising and bleeding.
- Do not apply lotion, creams, or oils to the treatment area on the day of the appointment.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that allows easy access to the treatment area.
- Arrange for transportation, as you may not be able to drive immediately after the procedure due to the compression stockings.
Post-Treatment Care for Optimal Results
Following your sclerotherapy treatment, it's crucial to follow these post-care guidelines to achieve optimal results and minimize potential complications:
- Keep the compression stockings on as instructed by your medical professional, usually for one to two weeks, to help your blood circulate so the vein remains closed. Wearing these garments also helps to minimize bruising. You should wear them when seated for a long time, such as at the office or on long car rides or airplane flights.
- Walk for 15 to 20 minutes a few times daily to promote proper blood flow and reduce the risk of blood clots.
- Avoid hot baths, saunas, and direct sunlight for a week, as heat can cause the treated veins to dilate and hinder the healing process.
- Refrain from intense physical activities, such as weightlifting or high-impact exercises, for at least one week.
Alternatives to Sclerotherapy
If sclerotherapy is not the right treatment for you, laser therapy may be a good option for you instead. Laser therapy for spider veins uses focused light energy to heat and damage the veins, causing them to collapse and be reabsorbed by the body. This noninvasive treatment is suitable for smaller spider veins but may require multiple sessions for optimal results.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many sclerotherapy sessions will I need?
Can sclerotherapy be used to treat hand and facial veins?
When should I get laser therapy instead of sclerotherapy for veins?
How soon can I expect results after sclerotherapy?
Ready to Get Rid of Those Pesky Visible Veins?
Looking down at those blue or purple tree-like formations under your skin can cause a little anxiety, wondering about the health of your veins and who else can see them. But we have options to assist you in feeling your most confident wherever these annoying veins appear. Schedule your consultation at Krch Med Spa in Phoenix, AZ, to learn about nonsurgical sclerotherapy and our other cosmetic services.